Good strategy is essential, but poor strategy is common
- Strategy is not defining your current operational effort
- Strategy is not visionary language meant to inspire
- Strategies are not projects defined with grandiose language attached
- Strategies are not pet projects or dependent individual bias
Every organization struggles with applying their specific needs to an approach that properly defines and documents their vision, goals, and objectives. Harder yet is applying that information to operational efforts. Some organizations spend millions trying to get a handle on what exactly is happening and where they need to be. But the rewards for this effort are rarely obtained because of commonplace issues. Issues that we have addressed in the creation of the iEngage360 product.
iEngage360 supports the development of good strategy
- iEngage360 provides a robust representation of the strategic plan, automated tools to ensure common planning and execution problems are avoided.
- The iEngage360 platform helps customers evaluate the merits and risks of strategic initiatives and provides a normalized approach to prioritize and select the initiatives with the highest strategic value, and that provide the best balance across the strategic plan.
- iEngage360 captures program and project plans, evaluates the completeness of the plan, the performance of project team and manager. iEngage360 automatically generates status reporting for individual initiatives and then assesses the health impact of the entire portfolio on the strategic plan.
- iEngage360 provides AI based analytic’s to monitor the health and status of all planning and management activity, providing alerting, recommendations and decision support to help keep the strategic plan on track and meeting its objectives.
When a strategic plan is too abstract to be directly executed, the ambiguity causes implementation plans to drift way from the intended path. Without specific plans, implementation leaders drift toward what they already understand and potentially away from the desired goals.
A fully engaged leadership team, reviews and approves each step in the process. Leaders must be engaged and aware of planning decisions, provide clear execution direction, and monitoring progress toward plan objectives. iEngage360 helps ensure stakeholder participation is easy and limits level of effort. iEngage360 evaluates the health and status of plans, performance, and execution.
Most organizations prioritize & select their strategic initiatives based upon leadership bias and instinct. Tension between financial and non-financial value based initiatives is common. Decision making can seem ad- hoc and disjointed.
Using a normalized process for evaluating strategic initiatives removes the randomness from the process. iEngage360 provides tools for scoring consistently disparate types of initiatives as well as evaluating the strategic value, risks, and organizational balance.. Helping organizations optimize probability of success for their chosen strategies.
Managing execution is typically left to business leaders and without proper definition, they work in isolation from the strategy planners. Operational teams often are left without broader understanding of the purpose and desired outcomes of their efforts.
A fully engaged stakeholder team, reviews progress, provides guidance and prepares their organization for required change. iEngage360 provides a flexible portfolio management solution that creates stakeholder views, and stage gate review support for stakeholders. Furthermore, iEngage360 employees an effictive milestone driven project management tool that supports individuals who are not project management trained.
Good Strategy is Elusive
Strategic Success Requires Management at many levels
iEngage360 provides support for a wide variety of organizational roles through its easy to use interfaces
Board of Directors
- Insight into overall plan health
- Monitor progress of board level objectives
- Strategic planning reviews by item, alignment, or sponsorship
- Balanced Scorecard review
- Stage-gate review processes, decision making and approval
- Stakeholder engagement
- Prioritization for off cycle event/opportunity assessment
- Health and status reviews (Objective performance, execution performance, and outcome performance)
- Risk escalation and mitigation reviews
- Quarterly strategy reviews and annual performance assessments
- Robust planning and prioritization tools
- Automated health and status of planning efforts
- Planning instruction, stakeholder vetting, and planning team rounding
- Reporting and review tools for leadership, participants, stakeholders, and planning teams.
- Prioritization tools for strategically aligned efforts
- Tight integration between planning and portfolio management
Portfolio & Project Managers
- Fully integrated tool to allow direct communication, interface, and escalation to the strategic planning team
- Robust tool with the ability to filter and align projects to enable easy review and reporting
- Tools to support basic portfolio and project management functions
- Automated support and recommendations to maintain health and status, reduce workload & report effectively up the strategy change of command
- Performance monitoring and reporting by alignment
- Identification of key obstacles to help managers from derailing progress
- Activity reports that highlight all strategic effort happening within the participating organizaiton
- Organizational resource requirements
- Key ability to provide stakeholder feedback to the planning teams
- Support for readiness preparation
- Milestone driven focus to identify key deliverables
- Automated status reporting and recommendations
- Clear instruction provided top down, providing clear definition of what is in scope, the primary objectives, and the key challenges to the organization.
Strategy Management Requires
- Creating a detailed plan
- Effective communication
- Executive sponsorship
- Engaged Stakeholder
- Holistic management of the strategic portfolio
- Prioritization, alignment, & balance of strategic investment
- Clear direction, scope, and boundaries to planning teams
- Milestone driven project management & reporting
- Risk management of the strategic plan
- Easy update & review of strategic plan health